Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Saddest Movie That I Ever Watched


Maybe it the sign of the times that I would pick Flight 93 as the saddest movie that I had ever seen.Usually I like movies were I do not know the ending but after reading about how the passengers on this ill-fated flight took such heroic actions I knew that I had to go see this movie.

Flight 93 was released in January of 2006 and it was directed by Peter Marbkle. It tellsus about how four terrorists wanted to turn flight 93 into a weapon of mass destructionbut forty brave and heroic passengers and crew stopped it from reaching its final target.Flight 93 was a scheduled flight from Newark International Airport (now Newark LibertyInternational Airport) in Newark, New Jersey, to San Francisco International Airport, then continuing on to Narita International Airport near Tokyo, Japan, on a different aircraft.It was one of four aircraft's that were hijacked that fateful day of September 11,2001. They crashed near Shanksville, Pennsylvania when passengers foiled the terrorist plot. It premiered January 30, 2006 on the A&E Network and was re-broadcast several timesthroughout 2006 and 2007.

It had 182 seats but was carrying only 37 passengers (including the four hijackers) andseven crew members: two pilots, the captain Jason M. Dahl and his first officer, LeRoyHomer Jr.; and five flight attendants. Because one passenger had booked two seats, some early accounts said there were 38 passengers on board. The four hijackers were seated in first class.
I thought that this film came off rather well despite the fact that it had a small budget.I remember thinking that these were only actors portraying real people but I lost that thought soon after this film started. It made me realize that this could probably happen again despite all of the security measures that have been put in place. It brings back that fateful day as if it were yesterday. Even though I knew the outcome I found myself glued to my seat and in my mind I kept on saying "Come on guys, keep on pushing"None of it is easy to watch. But flight 93 family members worked closely with thefilmmakers, while others who lost loved ones on 9/11 worry if it will be handled sensitively.

It had to be one of the most challenging movies that I had ever watched. That neverto be forgotten phrase "lets roll"later became a battle cry for those fighting Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. Even President George Bush has been heard using it. Watching this filmmore than once still brings back emotions, and even though this film had to be the saddest movie that I ever watched, I believe that it is an important movie for it reminds us to never forget what happened on that fateful day not that long ago.

No comments: